Private Portrait Commission
Giving an elegant portrait created by a professional artist is a most memorable, touching gift. But it can be a costly venture. The size, media and presentation make up the physical costs, but it is the skill, talent, and reputation of the artist which most greatly affects the price of a painting. Artists must remind their prospective clients that their time and efforts are at least equal to that of tradesmen and professionals in other fields, and as such so should their fees.
CONSIDERATIONS PRIOR TO STARTING:
SELECT AN ARTIST WHOSE STYLE YOU ADMIRE AND WHO IS WITHIN YOUR BUDGETARY LIMITS.
Do you have a budget that will cover the costs of creating a portrait by a professional artist?
Can you allow the artist enough time to create the work to the best of his/her ability?
Is the artist skilled enough to create a work that will be satisfactory to you?
Questions prior to starting the painting:
1. MEDIA: pencil, charcoal, conte, pastel, ink. watercolour, acrylic, oil, mixed media
2. SUPPORT: canvas (cotton, linen, poly/flax, etc), wood panel, cradle board AND paper: watercolour, drawing, wet media, pastel textured
3. SIZE: unframed and framed
4. STYLE: representational, impressionist/romantic, classical, joie de vivre, abstract
5. REFERENCE: live posing, photo, digital
6. IN PROGRESS communications, intermittent critiques and approvals
7. FINAL CRITIQUE
8. FINISH: Varnish, matting, framing, finished edges, marouflage/mounting,
9. DELIVERY: Pick-up, shipping, handling
10. PRINTING & ARCHIVING: hard copies, digital/cloud, web site
11. Letter of authenticity, bill of sale, preparatory works,
Arrange a payment and progress schedule
And begin the magical journey that is exclusive to that of portraiture.